Re: POP3 / IMAP security

From: Wes Peters (wes@softweyr.com)
Date: 01/30/01

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:32:12 -0700
From: Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To: "Edward W. M." <edward_wm@hotmail.com>

"Edward W. M." wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I apologize in advance if you feel that I should have posted
> this to questions.
>
> I intend to run POP and IMAP services on a new machine, so I
> need easily deployable secure servers that can be installed from
> the ports.
>
> Cyrus is out of the question for me, I am running that on another
> box and I just need something more easily deployable for this one.
> All my users have shell access and log in via ssh, so the bugs
> in the UW imap server are not that relevant, but still, that is
> one bug-ridden piece of software and I think it's just a matter
> of time before another security related bug is discovered. The
> same goes for popper and as I do not have the time to do the
> research, I hope to hear from experienced admins out there who have
> done the research (tee hee :-)) and are willing to share their
> knowledge and experience.

Courier. It's GPL, but it seems reliable. I'm learning quite a bit
more about it right now, working on an authentication module to work
with our user database (stored in PostgreSQL). Courier works well
with either BSD-style mailboxes or Maildirs. We use it in conjunction
with Qmail, though I am experimenting with Cyrus and Postfix as well.

  • Re: Which IMAP server to use for virtual hosting?
    ... Stephen Matlick schrieb: ... all the imap servers you mentioned (cyrus and courier) meet your (very ... if your mail system is really huge i definitely would go with cyrus - it ... homepage: www.diewebmaster.at, public email: office@diewebmaster.at ...
    (freebsd-isp)
  • Re: Recommended IMAP server?
    ... I found the end-user features were more significant than the particular ... Courier with maildir provided easier backup than Cyrus. ... I find myself needing to implement IMAP on FreeBSD. ...
    (freebsd-isp)
  • Re: [opensuse] Kmail and imap on OpenSuse 10.0
    ... cyrus imap server. ... Maybe I should change from using the courier server. ... I am using maildir folders, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Need IMAP Server Selection Advice
    ... I recently moved over to Courier ... > Imapd, which I think I like better. ... Cyrus required a lot of up front ... shell accounts on your mailserver is a blessing. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Need IMAP Server Selection Advice
    ... I recently moved over to Courier ... Cyrus required a lot of up front ... > shell accounts on your mailserver is a blessing. ... entirely sure what she's using it for now - an ISP mail account, ...
    (freebsd-questions)