Re: (no subject)

From: FBSDSecure@aol.com
Date: 01/30/01

From: FBSDSecure@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 03:00:42 EST
To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org

In a message dated 1/28/01 12:43:34 PM Pacific Standard Time, root@noops.org
writes:

> [...]
IP
> address
> it can't
> > >
> > > One word, DoS.
>
> Well, two words... one of which is DoS. Another, which I find fun, and
> also doesn't matter if your ISP does egress filtering is to make a scan
> look like it came from your whole subnet. I'm sure that even if my DSL
> provider was making sure all the leaving traffic came from it's network it
> would still be tough to catch. Or, and this is rare these days, is if you
> are on an unswitched subnet or could somehow view traffic in flight you
> can always make the scan look like it came from the guy next door and just
> sniff the replies as them come back.
>
> I know my DSL is unfiltered on it's way out, so if I'm doing an audit from
> home for any reason I always mix in 127.0.0.1 as a decoy -- just in case
> it hits something amusingly misconfigured, like a portsentry-type package
> with a glaring misconfiguration.
>
> -tcannon

That's why 127.0.0.1 is in the ignore file. Reminds me of an phrase I heard
somewhere...One false packet and I'll knock you off the net....Or something
like that.

Dan.

  • Re: (no subject)
    ... >>> and do a port scan, ... one of which is DoS. ... I'm sure that even if my DSL ... are on an unswitched subnet or could somehow view traffic in flight you ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: CheckBox.Value executes Click function? - What the!
    ... have been a fun argument. ... checkbox program for DOS... ... I still write command line DOS stuff, very handy and the perfect choice ... I'd happily write a command line version of my "checkbox" program, ...
    (comp.lang.basic.visual.misc)
  • Re: VGA card in XT and more....
    ... I installed IBM PC DOS 3.3, ... it's a great site for old computer tinkerers! ... Frankly, it's just for fun, so I have no need for super large HDD's, but the ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.classic)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Apache Killer
    ... I do that for fun, seeing things break, not more not less, ... protocol-level compression to force the server to waste some memory ... and CPU resources to compress the response beforehand. ... But in any case, life goes on, it's just a DoS. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: old sims
    ... off the dust and firin' her up for some old racing games? ... do that last week and actually had some fun with Nascar2 (DOS), Nascar1, ... and the surprisingly fun Network Q RAC Rally ...
    (rec.autos.simulators)