Re: A wish and a dream...

From: Jonas Luster (loki@smurftarget.net)
Date: 01/19/01

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:25:10 -0800
From: Jonas Luster <loki@smurftarget.net>
To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org

* Wes Peters sez:

> > > Rainbow Technologies - iKey
> >
> > If I understand the webpage correctly, then this is not a storage medium
> > for random keys and such... but myabe I'm missing this fetaure.
>
> It's a small writable flash memory in a USB dongle. Conceptually, it
> should work fine for storing small blobs of data like a key.

Hmm. We're doing lotsa business with Spectria/Rainbow. This sounds
definitely interesting enough to go ahead and ask them for a few test
devices :)

> > This seems so far the most cost-effective and portable solution.
>
> Versus $10 for an iButton reader and $2 for an iButton? You'd have to write
> code to extract the keys from the iButton, though. Being able to mount the
> CF device is a nice advantage.

I stand corrected. I had a different price somewhere in the back of my
head. The portability issue still remains, tho.

jonas

--
http://www.advogato.org/person/jLoki

  • Re: A wish and a dream...
    ... >> For my BSD-machines I've bought a Compact Flash 16MB card and some ... >> small script mounts and unmounts the CF-card (which announces itself to ... > Versus $10 for an iButton reader and $2 for an iButton? ... > code to extract the keys from the iButton, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: iButton Development
    ... break the algorithm to gain access to the keys, in which case you can attack ... pgp in itself anyways. ... has encrypted the keys stored on the iButton then you've got the keys, ... if you had broken the same symmetric cipher in pgp itself, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: confusion in ank.
    ... expiration policy. ... randomly-generated keys. ... the random keys out of the space regularly probed by ... the most common brute force attackers. ...
    (comp.protocols.kerberos)
  • Re: Bad news for Block Ciphers?
    ... >> random keys and one on the fixed key given as example in Filiol's paper. ... > below the standard deviation, and the bias on bit 71 is not far above ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Bad news for Block Ciphers?
    ... > random keys and one on the fixed key given as example in Filiol's paper. ... The bias on bit 19 is well ... below the standard deviation, and the bias on bit 71 is not far above ... Ongoing simulations on other keys yield similar results. ...
    (sci.crypt)