Re: A wish and a dream...

From: Jonas Luster (loki@smurftarget.net)
Date: 01/19/01

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:25:10 -0800
From: Jonas Luster <loki@smurftarget.net>
To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org

* Wes Peters sez:

> > > Rainbow Technologies - iKey
> >
> > If I understand the webpage correctly, then this is not a storage medium
> > for random keys and such... but myabe I'm missing this fetaure.
>
> It's a small writable flash memory in a USB dongle. Conceptually, it
> should work fine for storing small blobs of data like a key.

Hmm. We're doing lotsa business with Spectria/Rainbow. This sounds
definitely interesting enough to go ahead and ask them for a few test
devices :)

> > This seems so far the most cost-effective and portable solution.
>
> Versus $10 for an iButton reader and $2 for an iButton? You'd have to write
> code to extract the keys from the iButton, though. Being able to mount the
> CF device is a nice advantage.

I stand corrected. I had a different price somewhere in the back of my
head. The portability issue still remains, tho.

jonas

--
http://www.advogato.org/person/jLoki