Re: A wish and a dream...

From: Wes Peters (wes@softweyr.com)
Date: 01/17/01

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:15:07 -0700
From: Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To: Pavol Adamec <pavol_adamec@tempest.sk>

Pavol Adamec wrote:

> Rainbow Technologies - iKey
>
> Paul.
>
> Borja Marcos wrote:
> >
> > I know the subject suggests an SPAM, but it isn't.
> >
> > It would be great to have a small gadget (for example, with
> > an USB interface) with the ssh private key stored, so that ssh used it
> > to authenticate instead of having to store the key in the disk.
> >
> > Is there anything commercially available?

The iKey looks great, but I've been told it has a known exploit (a hard-
coded keyphrase built into the hardware, or something like that.)

You could easily store a passphrase on a read/write iButton from Dallas
Semiconductor. They sell an experimenter's kit with a serial port reader
and an iButton for $10 or $12. The code to interface to it is in ports,
in /usr/ports/comms/mlan. See the URL references in the pkg-desr (or
pkg/DESCR) file there for more into.

  • Re: A wish and a dream...
    ... >>an USB interface) with the ssh private key stored, ... >>to authenticate instead of having to store the key in the disk. ... There is also the Rainbow Technologies iKey. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: A wish and a dream...
    ... Paul. ... Borja Marcos wrote: ... > an USB interface) with the ssh private key stored, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)