Re: A wish and a dream...

From: Darren Reed (
Date: 01/17/01

From: Darren Reed <>
To: (Peter Jeremy)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:42:52 +1100 (EST)

In some mail from Peter Jeremy, sie said:
> On 2001-Jan-16 11:15:27 +0100, Borja Marcos <> wrote:
> > It would be great to have a small gadget (for example, with
> >an USB interface) with the ssh private key stored, so that ssh used it
> >to authenticate instead of having to store the key in the disk.
> >
> > Is there anything commercially available?
> Dallas Semiconductor iButton:

There is also the Rainbow Technologies iKey (don't ask me for a URL).

I use the iKey 2000 with Windows/Netscape quite successfully. If it
is plugged into the USB port, I can read encrypted mail, if it's not,
I can't (using IE means the key info is copied from the device to the
system registry).

If only they'd release specs.

To Unsubscribe: send mail to