Re: A wish and a dream...

From: Jonas Luster (loki@smurftarget.net)
Date: 01/16/01

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:06:43 -0800
From: Jonas Luster <loki@smurftarget.net>
To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org

[ Reformatted for readers sanity ]

* Pavol Adamec sez:

> > I know the subject suggests an SPAM, but it isn't.
> >
> > It would be great to have a small gadget (for example, with
> > an USB interface) with the ssh private key stored, so that ssh used it
> > to authenticate instead of having to store the key in the disk.

> Rainbow Technologies - iKey

If I understand the webpage correctly, then this is not a storage medium
for random keys and such... but myabe I'm missing this fetaure.

For my BSD-machines I've bought a Compact Flash 16MB card and some
CFreaders for the desktops and stored my PGP and SSH stuff on them. A
small script mounts and unmounts the CF-card (which announces itself to
the OS as a new file system) under .keys, and .ssh, .pgp and .gpg have
the needed symlinks.

This seems so far the most cost-effective and portable solution.

jonas

--
http://www.advogato.org/person/jLoki