changing kernsecurelevel

From: Peter Brezny (peter@sysadmin-inc.com)
Date: 01/06/01

From: "Peter Brezny" <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
To: <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 20:49:21 -0800

How can I change the sysctl kern.securelevel from 2 to -1 without rebooting
the machine.

I've run into problems installing new kernels with a kernelsecure level of
2, but so far, the only way I've figured out to change the kernel secure
level is to modify rc.conf, changing the secure level and rebooting the
machine.

How do i accomplish this without a reboot, or, if i am going at it all
wrong, how do i rebuild the kernel of a machine with a kern.securelevel=2?

TIA

Peter Brezny
SysAdmin Services Inc.

  • Re: The sad demise of an etch.
    ... investigating what is causing the badness in the current install. ... If I knew how to do this (besides a few variations on rebooting and ... kernel version and hardware). ... Rebooted to etch. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: The sad demise of an etch.
    ... investigating what is causing the badness in the current install. ... If I knew how to do this (besides a few variations on rebooting and ... kernel version and hardware). ... Rebooted to etch. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Unpredictable performance
    ... as possible, rebooting between each run.. ... I'm going to run some tests without limiting the memory to 80 megabytes ... I can do some bisecting next week and see if I find any, ... The kernel is compiled as an UP ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: The sad demise of an etch.
    ... investigating what is causing the badness in the current install. ... If I knew how to do this (besides a few variations on rebooting and ... kernel version and hardware). ... Rebooted to etch. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: The crippled resurrection of said etch.
    ... investigating what is causing the badness in the current install. ... If I knew how to do this (besides a few variations on rebooting and ... kernel version and hardware). ... Saw it was starting gdm. ...
    (Debian-User)