From: Raphael Rivera <rafinous@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 13:40:18
To: <chughes@xxxxxxx>; <firewall-wizards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Securing email by inhibiting urls

Have you all tried barracuda spam firewall?

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 1, 2011, at 2:46 PM, "Chris" <chughes@xxxxxxx <mailto:chughes@xxxxxxx> > wrote:

A company I work for has been having great difficulty in securing against email attacks.  So far we have disabled access to webmail, implemented  rules and processes to block freemail services like hotmail etc until the sender registers the address and of course a spam filter (BrightMail).  Attachment filtering is pretty strict as well.
The threat that presents the biggest challenge is url links in emails.  The common method of attack is an email from <> where they change one character or otherwise make the address look valid (ie: joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> or j0e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:j0e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> etc).
I was looking for a way to spot and block hyperlinks but it looks like the only option I have is to filter on these and send them to a spam bin.  I'd rather yank the offending hyperlink and replace it with a message of some sort.  Unfortunately BrightMail doesn't offer that capability.
Any products that do this or ideas on a solution?
firewall-wizards mailing list
firewall-wizards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:firewall-wizards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
firewall-wizards mailing list

Relevant Pages

  • Re: work, life
    ... People who don't know division by zero is undefined shouldn't divide! ... beyond the realm where the compiler can protect you. ... you want a programmer slicing brain tissue! ... plastic scalpel from now on because Doctor Bozo would likely hurt ...
  • Re: How long?
    ... No more fixes for so-called "day zero" security holes that Microsoft ... You trust your OS to protect you against zero day security holes? ... make any sense to trust OS updates to protect you against them. ...
  • Conditional Formatting - Hiding Cells & Autofilter
    ... results of calculations. ... and I use autofilter to hide the zero rows. ... way to protect the formulae and keep the autofilter ...
  • Re: the greatest thing about freedom is...
    ... $Zero wrote: ... what is the greatest thing about freedom to you? ... or do you prefer slavery? ... I prefer to have someone protect me from making mistakes, ...