Re: [fw-wiz] obscure email address formats

On Tue, 24 May 2011 00:30:24 +0400
ArkanoiD <ark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there any good reason to allow email addresses (in smtp, imap
and alikes) in any format different from mailbox@fqdn ?

There is plenty of other stuff defined in RFCs and I wonder if
anyone really uses it so I should *not* just filter it out.

Couldn't say, for sure, but I've had this

/[!%\@].*\@/ 550 This server disallows weird address syntax.

PCRE regexp in every mail server I've deployed for (checks...) better
than a dozen years.

Regards,
Jim
filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is

  • Re: [fw-wiz] obscure email address formats
    ... in any format different from mailbox@fqdn? ... There is plenty of other stuff defined in RFCs and I wonder if anyone really uses it so ... Be careful when you validate "mailbox" so that you allow all legal names (unlike!@##$% javascript validators that refuse user+subfolder@fqdn addresses). ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] obscure email address formats
    ... On May 23, 2011, at 1:30 PM, ArkanoiD wrote: ... in any format different from mailbox@fqdn? ... There is plenty of other stuff defined in RFCs and I wonder if anyone really uses it so ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Not understanding some issue in DirectShow
    ... I've written a CTransformFilter-inherited filter that sits in between ... format is YUY2, 320x240. ... back a bitmap with a stride that is greater than that of your image. ...
  • Re: HPL Pros and Cons
    ... Here are the command line options: ... create map ... describe format ... describe filter ...
    (comp.databases.informix)
  • Re: dbcopy over secure/encrypted line
    ... The onpladm command works great. ... create map ... describe format ... describe filter ...
    (comp.databases.informix)