Re: [fw-wiz] obscure email address formats

On May 23, 2011, at 1:30 PM, ArkanoiD wrote:
Is there any good reason to allow email addresses (in smtp, imap and alikes)
in any format different from mailbox@fqdn ?

There is plenty of other stuff defined in RFCs and I wonder if anyone really uses it so
I should *not* just filter it out.

People around these parts use address tags <user+mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> all of the time to attempt delivery to a particular mailbox (if it exists) rather than INBOX.

RFC-5322 discusses obsolete addressing and header formats and suggests how they should be handled. Nobody is likely to use explicit address routing nowadays, or UUCP !-paths, or headers with arbitrary amounts of whitespace between a header and the colon (ie, "Date : " rather than "Date: ").

Regards,
--
-Chuck

  • Re: [fw-wiz] obscure email address formats
    ... in any format different from mailbox@fqdn? ... There is plenty of other stuff defined in RFCs and I wonder if anyone really uses it so ... Be careful when you validate "mailbox" so that you allow all legal names (unlike!@##$% javascript validators that refuse user+subfolder@fqdn addresses). ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] obscure email address formats
    ... and alikes) in any format different from mailbox@fqdn? ... There is plenty of other stuff defined in RFCs and I wonder if ... anyone really uses it so I should *not* just filter it out. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: the police was dispatched to ... the wrong house
    ... should know plenty about, if he is what he says he is. ... Are you telling me that you couldn't pick a dealer format, ... It's easy for anyone with half a brain to ... stupidly is still working? ...
    (alt.security.alarms)
  • Re: I just bought your hard drive - a Best Buy tale
    ... So you buy a used hard drive, and you don't know or care what's on it. ... Well the first thing you should always do is format a hard ... not knowing that there was illegal content on it, there is no chance that ... There are plenty of chances. ...
    (misc.consumers)
  • Re: How to del item of a list in loop?
    ... >> Three significant figures is plenty. ... Showing just the minimum of ... About the same time as the "worse" format. ...
    (comp.lang.python)