Re: [fw-wiz] Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 12:50:35PM -0700, Darren Reed wrote:
I think that what's happened is the relevant open source
security tools for today are no longer proxies or packet
filters but plugins for your web browser.

[skipped]

Sure. But I still do not see why does it affect firewalls, which are
still there.

  • Re: Email clients
    ... presumably this isn't a bug in Mail after all. ... but filters not that good (why don't they just license dspam or some ... totally sufficient, and the interface to them is very, very good). ... plugins are basically hacks against a "private" ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: How to go about developing a TCP Packet Filter
    ... You can modify and capture packets in LSP's, TDI filters and NDIS IM ... thus you don't know that there was an attempt to send packet. ... Volodymyr M. Shcherbyna, blog: http://www.shcherbyna.com/ ...
  • Re: How to go about developing a TCP Packet Filter
    ... You can modify and capture packets in LSP's, TDI filters and NDIS IM ... thus you don't know that there was an attempt to send packet. ...
  • Re: Java environment/registry
    ... application outside of a web browser, and want to get information about ... the installed browsers and plugins as well as the following: ... boith full and plugins)? ... The concept of a registry is platform specific ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • Re: Belated look at the OSXhints April Fools front page
    ... And that's for a start page that is just plain HTML - no plugins. ... Look, TeX gets used for everything from writing Web pages, animated ... Javascript is a complete programming language. ... I think it would interesting to try your "one-shot" web browser. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)