Re: [fw-wiz] Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Claudio Telmon wrote:

I wouldn't say that most users think that blocking ports is the only
thing a firewall should/can do. Almost every device has currently this
basic functionality, including routers, load balancers etc., so
companies buying an expensive firewall expect it to do something more.
The problem is, if they know what, and if they get it or not ;)

actually, the problem is that many companies _don't_ expect the firewall to do anything more. and neither to many admins (unfortunantly including a large percentage of 'security' people)

David Lang

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Hacker pierces hardware firewalls with web page.
    ... I've seen several other posts where people make use of browser exploits to trick the browser into submitting a form to the router/firewall, and if the router has the default password, the attacker can then configure the firewall any way they want. ... With FTP the client connect to the server, then at the start of a file transfer the client tells the server what port to connect to on the client. ... virtually any service on their machine, even when it's behind certain routers that automatically block it to the outside world. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Misconceptions
    ... I admit Firewalls and Routers aren't the exact same thing (of ... Personal Firewall, I wonder if that program is any good? ... > handled by anti-virus programs, which should be on ... > A NIDS is just that. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Hardware, software or both?
    ... one more question please regarding routers. ... > 2) Software firewalls are easy for the non-technical computer user to ... > of the personal firewall applications. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Hacker pierces hardware firewalls with web page.
    ... the attacker can then configure the ... transfer the client tells the server what port to connect to on the client. ... A 'helpful' firewall will watch for this message and reconfigure itself to ... routers that automatically block it to the outside world. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: How to Stealth POP3 Port 110 using NIS2000?
    ... | According to the firewall log, that port is not even being probed. ... coming from your ISP's routers, ... Check out the NIS rules for POP3 and SMTP for your e-mail client software. ... "Unused Port Blocking". ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)