Re: [fw-wiz] Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:35:58 -0700, Tracy Reed wrote:
On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 08:05:20AM +0200, Magosányi Árpád spake thusly:
But it is not. Network perimeter defence is an industry seriously
hit by marketing bullshit from some vendors, who could not come out
with a decent firewall, so redefined the term to be applicable to
their products.

The proliferation of BS is a serious problem. Buzzwords are everywhere.
It is hard to know what really provides value/security and what is just
buzzwords and lengthening the bullet list of features to make the
product more attractive.

Doing this they came out with a definition which goes against basic
security principles and empties the meaning of the word to the
extent which makes nearly pointless to have "firewalls".

I think it would be hard to make the argument that it is pointless to
have packet filters. How would defining a firewall as a packet filter go
against basic security principles? You could then simply say you need a
firewall (packet filter) AND these various other proxies and tools to
secure your network. Perhaps we are not really doing ourselves a favor
by overloading the word "firewall" to such an extent?

you are misunderstanding us.

nobody is claiming that packet filters are not firewalls, what we are arguing against is the idea that is stuck in many people's head that firewalls are _only_ packet filters.

I work in a banking company, and I have had arguments with architect in both the operations and development fields that our firewalls are wrong because they are trying to do more than just restrict by port, that that is all a firewall is supposed to do, anything else is some other type of device, but whatever it is, it's not a firewall.

This led to a state of affairs where there is practically no
discussion about a lot of important questions of network perimeter
defense, because the majority of the "firewall" people are kept in a
darkness about the issue to the extent that they do not have the
background even to ask the right questions.

What are some of the questions that you feel get overlooked?

when people get the mindset that _all_ a firewall is is a packet filter, the only questions they ask are what ports does a particular tool use. If they realize that a firewall can do more, they can start to ask questions about what the protocol is, what enforces it, and if you are really lucky, what functionality does the protocol offer, and what subset of what is offered is really needed in this case (because I have yet to see a protocol defined where all functions are needed in all cases, outside of single-use situations). It's very common that the things outside of that subset can be a significant danger, but if you only think of a firewall as a packet filter, you don't even think of these sorts of questions, because your firewall couldn't possibly enforce anything.

This means that even though those same vendors now would be in the
position to implement actually meaningful features, they do not do
it because they have conditioned their consumers to not think about
such things.

I think they have simply failed to educate the customer of the value of
those features. The vendors are constantly looking for ways to
differentiate themselves in what has fast become a commodity market.
Why doesn't the customer care? If I see two boxes on the shelf with the
same price but one seems to offer more security than the other I'm going
to buy that one. But the additional perceived security just isn't there
for the customer.

you are a _very_ rare consumer. The problem is that the device that provides more security is either going to be slower, or more expensive than the device that provides less, simply based on the fact that implementing security requires checking things, and that takes cpu cycles, so you either have the same hardware, but are slower, or you have more expensive hardware to get the same speed.

this ignores the fact that the big name vendors have turned the benchmarking game into such a fiasco that experienced people discount their rated numbers by about an order of magnitude to figure what they will really get when they start turning checking on.

I've had management complain when I purchased proxy firewalls rated at 8Gb/sec to connect to an internet connection slightly under 1Gb/sec, they ended up replacing them with Cisco devices rated at something like 20+Gb/sec, however if you turned on logging of connections (and especially logging of blocked connections), it turned out that the Cisco devices couldn't keep up with the traffic.

When you see someone trying to correct this "firewall = packet
filter" nonsense, you actually see a vain attempt to correct these
mistakes. Because the first step is to meaningfully discuss
something is to have meaningful definitions.

I understand and appreciate that a firewall can be more than just a
packet filter. But to insist that a packet filter is not a firewall does
not seem to accomplish anything because then you have to define exactly
what a firewall really does require to be called a firewall which can
get quite complicated.

as I've stated above, many people don't accept, let alone appreciate that a firewall can be more than a packet filter.

even in this thread, the subject of which is opensource proxies, the response from several people was "you're wrong, just look at X" where X is a packet filter tool.

The idea that all of that functionality should be in one box or provided
by one vendor bothers me also. It seems to violate the UNIX philosophy
of do one thing and do it well.

things get rather complicated when you try to split the functionality between multiple boxes, especially if your application isn't proxy aware. you either end up with a bunch of boxes daisy-chained, or you end up with one box splitting the traffic to go to other boxes (and if you have NAT involved, this can get _really_ fun)

it's also much easier to secure a smaller number of boxes.

that's not saying that multiple systems can't work, but if you can run the multiple types of security on one system, why would you want to split them across multiple systems?

the Unix philosophy is not one system to do one thing and do it well, it's one _tool_ to do one thing and do it well. If I can run many tools on one system (and have the processing power to do so), that's a really good thing, because I can then combine the tools in ways that I can't do if they are on separate systems.

David Lang

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Proxies, opensource and the general market: whats wrong with us?
    ... Yes, separation of security controls from operation is a good practice, but you ... Yes, there are still some possible minor functionality losses and other problems, but honestly I have seen complex firewall setups which would have been achieved better with some routers. ... I don't like to argue about words, because they are just labels, and if there is an agreement on the meaning of the label, it is utterly unimportant how the label looks like. ... This is why it would have been totally perfect to define "firewall" as packet filter at the beginning. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Tiny Vs Norton vs ZA
    ... >firewall if I had the urge. ... be-all of security on the Internet. ... >multiple vendors. ... >context of most home/personal users. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • RE: ANTIVIRUS and FIREWALL leaders?
    ... This product is excellent in security: ... Asunto: ANTIVIRUS and FIREWALL leaders? ... I mean I would like to have independent reports, ... help which vendors offer the best technologies, i am very interested to have ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: software/hardware Firewall tradeoff
    ... just there are two options (Firewall: ... ZA is not a FW it's just a machine level packet filter. ... The NAT router for home usage is not a FW either. ... If the other program needs ports open on the router, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Firewall etc
    ... I look at the log on a FW or personal packet filter to view unsolicited inbound packets that have been blocked and outbound packets being send out due to a solicitation or no solicitation. ... company's firewall offers me better protection and an opportunity to ... I can do the same thing with the Vista packet filter, that is, to create filtering rules for inbound or outbound packets, based on port, protocol, IP or subnet. ... so they can benefit from the higher forms of protections these ...