Re: [fw-wiz] Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011, ArkanoiD wrote:

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 05:20:17PM -0700, david@xxxxxxx wrote:

At the moment I am trying to offload non protocol-related http checks to external ICAP filters.. For XML, I have some raw prototype, but I do not like the fact it is based on libxml2 and inherits all potential vulnerabilities (as it is a huge piece of code) and still there is a lack of automated tool that can be used to "formalize" "normal" xml flow to check for anomalies later. For several well-documented protocols it is not needed, but aiming at SOA it is probably a must :-(

I'm happy to hear of this work, is the prototype available somewhere?

Not yet, it is more an ugly PoC atm :-( But I am going to polish at a bit and
include in main source tree.

Ok, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I am thinking about adding radius and/or pam backends support, but still
had no time to implement that.

there's a authsrv pam module floating around already for fwtk,

Yes, and there is a slightly modified version of it included in the distribution.
The change is quite simple: the "comment" field from "authorize" command is no longer actually
a "comment", as native TIS proxies provided some useful information there like proxy name and
peer address, I decided to document that and make it a part of protocol specification.
Some third-party software that did not honor this informal convention got broken and required minor
patches.

Ok, I'll take a look at that.

I have no problem saying that things like log analysers are out of scope,
but (at least when initially released) the documentation was saying that
things like ssh and http were out of scope (and with telnet and FTP being
so insecure, I was remembering that you didn't implement them, leaving
little that would use authentication, which is probably why I was thinking
that authsrv wasn't implemented)

http was there from the very beginning. ssh, yes, still somehow out, actually not much (well, nothing!) was changed since my old ugly openssh hack to implement simple proxy functionality. It is time to revisit that as well. The part I get paid for at the moment is http/emstp/pop3 (and imap is planned) with SSL support, but I hope I can get some free time.. SSH is definitely high priority task, but I am still unsure what the architecture and technical requirements should be. Do you have any wishes, what is essential for you -- key management functions, whatever?

for an ssh proxy, what I minimally need is the ability to be a direct replacement for tn-gw and ftp-gw without it enabling tunneling.

something like tn-gw where the user connects to the firewall then specifies where to go from there for an interactive terminal session, with port forwarding
disabled

something like ftp-gw where an authenticated user is able to transfer files through the connection and log what's moved

both of these authenticated to authsrv

future enhancements:

optionally allow port forwarding

add the ability to do firewalling for the ports forwarded through ssh

add the ability to specify what commands can be executed to a destination through the proxy (as opposed to the default login)

add key management (for incoming, support using the ssh identity as the userid, with our without additional authentication with authsrv, for outbound, support different client certs for different userids, possibly for different userid/destination pairs) potentially doing the keyserver relay back to the client. This is the lowest priority item for me.

I actually don't have an objection to the firewall being a collection of
different tools gathered togeather (that's just good code re-use in the
best opensource tradition), it may require some tweaks to code, or some
scripts to create the appropriate config files for some of the tools, but
that is far better than having to completely re-write the tools.

That's why I was talking about "kickstart" -- a set of configuration templates that eases this task.

actually, I was not thinking in terms of templates, but rather something that would let you define access in terms of groups like the traditional authsrv entries in netperm-table and have a script that would create the corresponding config for squid (picking an example). I actually have something along these lines today that is a script running out fo cron that checks the timestamp on netperm-table and anytime it changes it looks for authsrv lines with http or https types and creates files for the groups allowing those groups to go to the destinations specified and then kicks squid with a reconfigure (I ahve other processes to do authentication for IPs to populate what the sources for each group are). This allows the use of a fairly mature tool without the people implementing the permissions having to worry about learning a different config file format. they just make authsrv entries and everything else is taken care of for them.

David Lang

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Proxies, opensource and the general market: whats wrong with us?
    ... I hacked in support for simple authentication (validating the user with ... authsrv) and then added the ability to do some tests and simple work ... support using the ssh identity as the ... scripts to create the appropriate config files for some of the tools, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Proxies, opensource and the general market: whats wrong with us?
    ... one other SSH related thing, a SSH enabled version of cmd-gw ... I hacked in support for simple authentication (validating the user with authsrv) and then added the ability to do some tests and simple work through it and it has proven to be a wonderful tool by allowing other teams to execute commands from the firewalls without having to give them local logins. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Setting up SSH on Snow Leopard
    ... The above indicates that the only two methods of authentication ... I did *not* enable the publickey or ... keyboard-interactive methods in my client. ... being advertised by the SSH server on the Mac client? ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: authentication problem
    ... I have an authentication issue with ssh that i'd like to ask for clues ... but owner? ... Could you make sure ~/.ssh on both machines is only read/write ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Setting up SSH on Snow Leopard
    ... a Terminal window on the Mac and try "ssh localhost". ... authentication methods, and is either of those preferred from a security ... the most secure configuration will offer the least amount ... If you want to harden your SSH server, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)