Re: [fw-wiz] Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 05:20:17PM -0700, david@xxxxxxx wrote:

At the moment I am trying to offload non protocol-related http checks to
external
ICAP filters.. For XML, I have some raw prototype, but I do not like the
fact it
is based on libxml2 and inherits all potential vulnerabilities (as it is a
huge
piece of code) and still there is a lack of automated tool that can be
used to
"formalize" "normal" xml flow to check for anomalies later. For several
well-documented
protocols it is not needed, but aiming at SOA it is probably a must :-(

I'm happy to hear of this work, is the prototype available somewhere?

Not yet, it is more an ugly PoC atm :-( But I am going to polish at a bit and
include in main source tree.

openfwtk hasn't hit this yet for me as the key thing that I use FWTK
for is the authenticated proxies and the last I checked it doesn't have
an authsrv equivalent (or the ability for it's proxies to tie in to an
authentication source).

You must be missing something, authsrv is the part that required several
fixes, so it
is there for sure, a few years at least and it is really improved much.
Multiple groups per user are allowed, authentication
sources may be checked against netperm-table (you may write rules that
restrict authentication
to a given proxy, or a given host), unix local socket is supported as
transport to avoid writing
complicated "loopback prevention" rules, etc etc.

yep, I did miss it. I'll have to take another look at it. does it use the
same over-the-wire protocol as the fwtk authsrv (so that I can use the
existing proxies?)

Sure. It does even support old futile DES "encryption" for backwards compatibility.
It is compatible both on TCP and API levels (second part means you may recompile
your proxy with the new library and auth_open() call will automatically work
with unix socket connection as well)

http://openfwtk.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/openfwtk/fwtk/nlib/authio.c?revision=1.13&view=markup

I have to admit, though, it was not really tested well, as most people run OpenFWTK without
authentication features, so it might be wise to play with it a bit before placing in production
environment. If any bugs appear, I hope I can fix it quick enough.

I am thinking about adding radius and/or pam backends support, but still
had no time to implement that.

there's a authsrv pam module floating around already for fwtk,

Yes, and there is a slightly modified version of it included in the distribution.
The change is quite simple: the "comment" field from "authorize" command is no longer actually
a "comment", as native TIS proxies provided some useful information there like proxy name and
peer address, I decided to document that and make it a part of protocol specification.
Some third-party software that did not honor this informal convention got broken and required minor
patches.

I have no problem saying that things like log analysers are out of scope,
but (at least when initially released) the documentation was saying that
things like ssh and http were out of scope (and with telnet and FTP being
so insecure, I was remembering that you didn't implement them, leaving
little that would use authentication, which is probably why I was thinking
that authsrv wasn't implemented)

http was there from the very beginning. ssh, yes, still somehow out, actually not much (well, nothing!)
was changed since my old ugly openssh hack to implement simple proxy functionality. It is time to revisit that
as well. The part I get paid for at the moment is http/emstp/pop3 (and imap is planned) with SSL support,
but I hope I can get some free time.. SSH is definitely high priority task, but I am still unsure what the
architecture and technical requirements should be. Do you have any wishes, what is essential for you -- key
management functions, whatever?

I actually don't have an objection to the firewall being a collection of
different tools gathered togeather (that's just good code re-use in the
best opensource tradition), it may require some tweaks to code, or some
scripts to create the appropriate config files for some of the tools, but
that is far better than having to completely re-write the tools.

That's why I was talking about "kickstart" -- a set of configuration templates that eases this task.

  • Re: How secure is Digest Mode compared to Integrated Authenticatio
    ... Secure authentication protocols like Integrated does not support ... Because the protocol never passes username/ ... document which delineates the weaknesses of Digest mode. ... password integrity is. ...
  • RE: Passwords with Lan Manager (LM) under Windows
    ... A device's security associations are contained in its Security Association Database ... Internet Protocol Security (IPSec) provides application-transparent encryption services for IP network traffic as well as other network access protections for the Windows 2000 operating system. ... As for "article you reference does indeed use the phrase "IPSec Authentication," but as any who reads it ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: How secure is Digest Mode compared to Integrated Authenticatio
    ... However, Digest is still weak against attacks like man-in-the-middle, ... It is unfortunate that the more secure authentication protocols ... password integrity is. ... b users must authenticate with *some* protocol from the Intranet and ...
  • Re: Web Proxy Filter exception not working
    ... Allow all traffic but HTTP between all protected networks and the ... Unrestricted internet access between all protected networks and the ... The unfiltered protocol is denied so all other HTTP traffic still uses ... The intial connection to the MetroList site uses my unfiltered protocol. ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.configuration)
  • Re: Is HTTP an Async Protocol
    ... If you say that HTTP is 3 layers, which is true in one sense, ... TCP/IP is an asynchronous protocol (like most ... > network protocols). ... >> "asynch" is a term related to programming. ...