Re: [fw-wiz] Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

And the second point seems to be pretty valid. We have *NO* product that is a match for current "market
leaders". It does not mean it is impossible: it is quite obviously possible, but we still do not have it.

Well, now I know that I missed the fw-wiz discussions of the list's
"golden years" :-)

In ArkanoiD's insightful rant, I am hearing "open source security
tools are dead." Is that really so? I doubt it - and here is why: I
think a lot of use cases for OSS sec tools are being dismissed by the
rant author as "cheapo crap." In reality, "cheapo crap" means "used by
everybody else but F1000"

For example, over the last few years, a lot of my blog traffic has
been driven by people googling for "open source SIEM" and "open source
log management." People are googling for this like crazy - this point
to an existing need for a free/OSS log management tools. Snort (IMHO)
and nmap are still in common use. Web app firewall (WAF) has a lot of
open source action as well.

Now, is there a big "market" now for an open source network firewall?
Hmm, not so sure....

Dr. Anton Chuvakin
Twitter: @anton_chuvakin
Google Voice: +1-510-771-7106
firewall-wizards mailing list

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Has my computer been hacked?
    ... You say to disable my firewall (or ... Would this be safe? ... WGET is a GNU free FTP and http 'get' utility and is open source. ... | I posted my question to a Eudora forum, and was told that Eudora was ...
  • RE: What are the best open source cisco pix log analyzers?
    ... For the record I'll disagree with my own comment "there aren't any", ... time I reviewed open source firewall log analysis products the customer ... need an inordinate amount more time molding an open source product to do ... log analysis which basically dominates commercial alternatives. ...
  • Re: Debating : FIREWALLS - "Commercial Product" or "Free Software" ?
    ... I'm sure this could be an interesting question for Open Source ... but what security they provide if any. ... Any firewall, commercial or open source, is only as strong as ... network admins will always have their networks compromised, ...
  • Re: iptables vs pix
    ... How about certified commercial product versus open source? ... Interoperability between vendors? ... > the cisco pix firewall vs an iptables firewall. ...
  • Re: Looking for freebsd/openbsd Open Source project for multi-WAN load-sharing/failover firewall/int
    ... > I am looking for any open source project that can help me build & ... > manage, preferably through a GUI, a multi WAN firewall gateway to the ... > components that come together to build a GUI ...