Re: [fw-wiz] IPv6

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 11:56:45AM -0500, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
Is anyone doing anything interesting with v6 and firewalls? We're
supposedly coming up on the year that v6 will break out, and most
organizations I know still don't even route it.

I am looking to start announcing IPv6 early next month. At this point,
Linux and *BSD boxes support IPv6 in their firewall rulesets.

There really shouldn't be much additional complexity with IPv6 in
any good security architecture. It's just another routed protocol,
with longer addresses and IPSec built in.

At the beginning though, we are likely to see simple IPv6 routing
with no AH/ESP.

What will be infinitely more interesting will be the combinations
of IPv4 to IPv6 mapping/NATing/routing which will happen.

Devdas Bhagat

  • Re: IPv6 over gif(4) broken in 6.2-RELEASE?
    ... when I configure a gif interface like this: ... specifically require a host route to the interface of the destination. ... This is actually handled specially in several parts of the IPv6 stack. ... olsrd as the routing protocol. ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: IPv6 over gif(4) broken in 6.2-RELEASE?
    ... I only have one IPv6 over IPv4/gif tunnel and ther I use only my side ... the tunnel because there's no route for the destination. ... olsrd as the routing protocol. ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • RE: Understanding multiple IPv6 interfaces under 8.0 (fwd)
    ... this issue may be due to a bit of regression in the IPv6 prefix management ... When ND6 NS arrives for bce1, due to the interface mismatch of the prefix ... I was wondering about the route however I haven't figured out the trick to ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: Understanding multiple IPv6 interfaces under 8.0 (fwd)
    ... Elmer# netstat -rn ... There's no reason why among 2 physical interfaces sharing the same fabric, one can ship packets out and the other can't. ... I was wondering about the route however I haven't figured out the trick to get what I want. ... I hope what I am specifying is to use the 32 bit IPv4 address as the last 32 bits of the IPv6 address, at least that is how it works out numerically. ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • FW: Adding a route for ipv6.
    ... I have tried using RTNetlink for adding IPv6 route table. ... Do I need to add some package for RTNetlink for adding IPv6 route. ... You've reached the debian iproute maintainers, but I'll try to help you. ...
    (Debian-User)