From: firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:firewall-
wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul Melson
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 6:52 AM
To: Firewall Wizards Security Mailing List
Cc: firewall-wizards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Gartner as usual..

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 7:10 PM, ArkanoiD <ark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.paloaltonetworks.com/literature/whitepapers/Gartner-Magic-
Quadrant2010.pdf

..pure, organic, unblended BULLSHIT.

Not disagreeing, but wondering what your main complaint is.

I'll be honest, had you not posted the link, I never would've read
this paper. I think firewalls are a mature enough concept that a
Gartner or Forrester paper on them is irrelevant. It's about as
useful as a research paper on bread. I mean, honestly, who's shopping
for their first firewall?

PaulM

  • Re: DMZ - 2 firewalls, or 1 firewall + 1 router
    ... router does routing only, as it is designed to do, the first firewall is ... a IDS/routing unit that is basically invisible, all good packets it sees ... The dmz firewall actually splits out ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Firewall block logs are flooding syslog
    ... I am pretty new to firewall security, ... first firewall which in essence does the following: ... Opens ports I need ... I hope I have given enough detail and forgive my ignorances with iptables. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Bridging + VLANS + RSTP / MSTP
    ... traffic will only go to the first firewall. ... Note that all IPs on ... Be sure that STP is *really* turned off on the switch, ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: NAT--Firewall--LAN
    ... > 2 Layer Security Router and Firewall ... > I'm planning to uses smoothwall for my first firewall, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Viruses, spyware etc
    ... > when I go to a shopping centre, why should I on the web? ... treaties to enforce them) that would enforce this onus. ... responsibility to insure that our vehicle is safe to traverse the highway. ... Using, as you said, a firewall and an AV product is a good start. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)