Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall best practices

John, you conflate two issues.

First, it's true that only the holder of the private key can decrypt data encrypted by the complementary public key in the pair.
But in the scenario discussed here, the holder of the private key uses that key for SSL/TLS connections terminated at his firewall, i.e., between a customer's client browser and the https server operating on the firewall. The https server on the firewall decrypts the traffic, does application traffic inspection, and then forwards traffic (encrypted in a separate SSL connection or in the clear) to an application server the firewall is "protecting".

Any hacker could buy such a firewall but if he didn't know the private key and couldn't situate his firewall to intercept customer traffic it would not matter. This is really no different from any hacker buying a server, running apache, and running the SSL/TLS libraries. He'd still have to obtain the private key.

Firewalls and other middle boxes of this sort exist today. Some are active proxies as I describe above and others are inline/passive monitors. The latter are used for transaction monitoring/performance analysis and I understand that they can be programmed to partially decrypt traffic (e.g., only application packet headers so that PII, financial, or other sensitive data are not expose to 3rd parties).

John Morrison wrote:
My understanding of https (and other PKI-based encryption) is that
only the holder of the private key can decrypt the data encrypted with
the other (public) key in the pair. My view is that the firewall can
only decrypt and inspect https traffic if it is acting as the server
to the external client. It can't intercept and decrypt https traffic
destined for another device - the real server. If it did https would
be worthless. Any hacker could buy such a firewall to sniff and
decrypt all https traffic.