Re: [fw-wiz] DNS Names for external services

From: "Behm, Jeff" <jbehm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
<firewall-wizards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:16:06 -0500
Subject: [fw-wiz] DNS Names for external services

Just curious, what is your opinions of the security vs. ease of use
trade-offs on putting DNS entries in (vs. making people know/use an
IP address) for services you expose to the Internet.
[snip]

I believe there's nothing significant to be gained by such
obfuscation.

Regards,
Jim
filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is

  • [fw-wiz] DNS Names for external services
    ... what is your opinions of the security vs. ease of use trade-offs on putting DNS entries in (vs. making people know/use an IP address) for services you expose to the Internet. ... webmail.companynamehere.com for your webmail service ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: PTR? what the heck is it?
    ... >for over a year now and among the security measures inherent in the mail ... >server program that i'm using has feature whereby if someone attempts to ... PTR records are the DNS entries that map addresses back to hostnames. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Linux Distribution Recomendation
    ... > Now I see it was the VM issue and full compatibility that still had hurdles. ... respect the fact that people make trade-offs, ... Basically they trade in a bit of security for a bit of compatibility. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ...
    (Security-Basics)