Re: [fw-wiz] DNS Names for external services

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Behm, Jeff wrote:

Just curious, what is your opinions of the security vs. ease of use trade-offs on putting DNS entries in (vs. making people know/use an IP address) for services you expose to the Internet.

I've said this for years, but it bears repeating: Obsucrity reduces the
incidence of attack, not the success rate.

For example,

webmail.companynamehere.com for your webmail service

www.companynamehere.com for your web site

The two above are typically common and don't cause me much concern. What about this next one?

vpn.companynamehere.com for your employees to access your company's VPN server

It's this last one that really begs the question. Should I just as well use the name "attackmehere.companynamehere.com" rather than vpn.companynamehere.com. I searched around on the Internet, but couldn't really find pros and cons...

Just looking for opinions. There are no "right" answers ;-)

What's a bigger burden, your support costs or your security costs? If
your VPN is attackable, because of weak userid-passwords or other flaws,
it'll be attacked sooner or later- if you've done your job, then flaws
won't be exploitable and the name doesn't matter- if you've done a poor
implementation or selection job, then all you're doing by hiding is
postponing the inevitable.

Paul