[fw-wiz] Firewall best practices

I was configuring a new firewall and was setting up rules to block
things like SMB and known trojan port and remote access client. It
got me thinking that the process would be quicker if I had a list
recommended ports/apps to block.

Is anyone aware of such a list. Best practices for ports to block
seems like something that would exists, but I haven't had any luck in
my search.

jas

  • Re: change smb port on win2kpro
    ... I believe SSH can also be set up ... I have no idea whether this would work with SMB, ... redirected to other ports either by using something like netcat or maybe ... reconfigure the firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: FC2--cant get SMB share from nautilus
    ... First off check the firewall, if the firewall is on then Samba is blocked. ... Make sure the SMB client is running, SMB server only needs to run if you ... In your SMB config you have to set up the username and pw that is ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: change smb port on win2kpro
    ... to start off, i do not have access to the firewall, and i ... im trying to "mount" files between a linux machine ... smb broadcasted on a different port, ... depending on what ports are open. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: iptables GUI util?
    ... > gnome-lokkit that will enable me to configure my firewall allowing SMB ... > (open CVS ports, et al) in a fine grained manner. ... killing my remote ssh and X session unexpectedly ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall best practices
    ... wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jason Lewis ... I was configuring a new firewall and was setting up rules to block ... things like SMB and known trojan port and remote access client. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)