Re: [fw-wiz] Is it possible to control access between clients on same LAN with a firewall?

William Fitzgerald a écrit :
Dear all,

Is there away to force/make it easier for the firewall to inspect
inter-LAN packets. Perhaps examining packets at layer 2 could capture this.
this is exactly the point.
there are some firewalls that can do layer2 filtering. (bridge mode,
transparent mode, layer2).

I understand that one solution would be to install a local firewall on
each machine.
this is another option, but you can have some difficulties to find a
local firewall
on a printer.

This is just a general question, so that I might better understand the
area of "inter-LAN" protection.

While it may be possible to have a firewall to not just protect traffic
from Internet to LAN and LAN to Internet but also LAN to LAN, it may not
be a practical thing to do.

Any comments or insights are welcomed.
you should check in the dd-wrt doc or ask the dd-wrt mailing list if it
can be configured with bridge interface
on the LAN.
firewall-wizards mailing list

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Firewall / Internet Gateway Config Fails
    ... in the address of it's internet address so it can be routed on the net. ... Firewall / Internet Gateway Config Fails ... configured correctly shouldn't the lan clients be able ...
  • Re: Internet Connection Firewall
    ... You actually might want to keep the firewall on in a lan environment. ... TCP 445 - SMB over TCP ... > The built-in firewall is designed to be used only on a direct> connection to the Internet, not on any internal LAN connections. ...
  • Re: RD works on LAN not across Internet
    ... RD works fine within my LAN but not across the ... I turned off Windows Firewall and NIS on all computers. ... >>> settings to fully use DHCP to access the Internet. ...
  • RE: Firewall / Internet Gateway Config Fails
    ... Firewall / Internet Gateway Config Fails ... all the machines on the lan are already configured to ...
  • Re: Internet Connection Sharing AND networking?
    ... >> XP machine the same as that used on the windows 98 machine. ... I can get to the Internet through ... >I cannot disable the firewall for just the LAN connection. ...