Re: [fw-wiz] Query: is there a semantic difference between differentfirewall policy configuration terms?

On Friday, August 07, 2009 8:50 AM , paddy gomaith said:

Is there a difference (semantically) between the terms:

My $.02 worth...

Firewall Policy
An operating posture taken that dictates how you generally operate, as
in "Anything not specifically allowed is denied," vs. "Anything not
specifically blocked is allowed." I would extrapolate this to include
more than just your "firewall" device, but rather more of a "General
Security Policy," of which your Firewall Policy is a subset.

Firewall Configuration
How the firewall is "set up" (rules, NATs, etc) to enforce the "Policy"
(see as defined above)

Firewall Policy Configuration
Same as Firewall Configuration

Firewall Configuration Policy
Same as Firewall Policy

  • RE: CheckPoint remote access
    ... It sounds like the firewall policy is getting in your way. ... unload the locally installed policy. ... Connect notebook directly to ethernet port with IP ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • ISA 2004 - Not processing rule?
    ... Edge Firewall template configuration. ... skeptical about letting DHCP Replies come from the External interface - ... The problem I am facing is that when I create a firewall policy with the ... My Custom Protocol is defined as TCP Outbound for port 5000 ...
    (microsoft.public.isaserver)
  • ISA 2004 - Not processing rule?
    ... Edge Firewall template configuration. ... skeptical about letting DHCP Replies come from the External interface - ... The problem I am facing is that when I create a firewall policy with the ... My Custom Protocol is defined as TCP Outbound for port 5000 ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)
  • ISA 2004 - Not processing rule?
    ... Edge Firewall template configuration. ... skeptical about letting DHCP Replies come from the External interface - ... The problem I am facing is that when I create a firewall policy with the ... My Custom Protocol is defined as TCP Outbound for port 5000 ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.configuration)
  • Re: How to find NATed address
    ... > NAT workarounds. ... > response from company Splortsoft who tells me that their ... > to defeat local firewall policy - after all, ... > Splortsoft allows malicious contravention of firewall policy ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)