Re: [fw-wiz] SCADA

From: R. DuFresne <dufresne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Which again begs the question; why windows systems?

Because the vendors the facility owners have trusted for years have built it into their devices.

You get into these circular discussions with many folks involved in Control Systems/SCADA:

"It's not a computer, it's an HMI."
"Um, it has Windows on it. It has Solitaire installed. It has Notepad. I could run video games on it. It's a computer".
"No it isn't, it's an HMI. Besides, it works so don't flippin' touch it or I'll escort you off the property."

The folks who own IT networks have nothing on the average set of folks running SCADA networks. If you think you've been frustrated trying to secure an IT network you ain't seen nothing, yet.

-chris

  • Re: OT: Data security now an issue for aircraft
    ... Bruce makes a very valid point when he says a new architecture like this ... necessarily has new failure modes (or, as he puts it, folks need to think ... Boeing seem to be asking us to take it on ... are actual "air gaps" between safety critical networks and what you might ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Real post - Glenn Gould - 25th Anniversary
    ... for the folks who set up the election returns data for the TV networks ... in New York. ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)
  • Re: Sound Forge issues
    ... corporate network/IP folks. ... I had to build and maintain my own lab networks to meet my ... their net with a non standard computer. ... be moved via the sneaker net. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Conventions
    ... There is some analogy, to be sure, though the networks in question tend ... I know lots of folks who do agree that fandom ... fan was moving house, she sent out a call for help to three separate ... hospitality with folks I had never met face-to-face before I ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Sound Forge issues
    ... >corporate network/IP folks. ... >networks the support folks tend to want all computers on the ... >be moved via the sneaker net. ... It's hard to understand why even the most obdurate corporate sys-admin ...
    (rec.audio.pro)