[fw-wiz] The Cybersecurity Act of 2009 (was: SCADA)

Michael Balasko <Michael.Balasko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I can assure you that there are tons of Birkenstock wearing, long bearded multiple Ph.D
holding guys fighting the good fight who happen to work for the government.

I'm willing to even trust some of them if they have short hair (but only so far...)

From the looks of things much of this argument is about to become academic. I've just read through the Cybersecurity Act of 2009 - which is now on the table in DC - and put my initial thoughts in order (http://www.motleymoose.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=1289). In general I'm not displeased but the devil is in the details, so I hear.

NIST is being harnessed up (Section 6 "NIST Standards Development and Compliance"), so brace yourself, Emmy.

Also interesting are sections 7 (certification of infosec geeks, as if we weren't already certifiable), 14 (Public/Private Clearinghouse, where EFF blows a fuse) and 18 (aka "In case of emergency, break glass").

If anyone thought the SCADA debate was lively, this one is sure to be a doosie...

-chris

(PS - I imagine there is some Ancient Polish Shared Ancestor at work, Mr. Balasko).