Re: [fw-wiz] SCADA

I agree with your observations but how can an insecure system be considered reliable?

Chris Blask wrote:
Daniel E. Hassler <hassler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Forgive my ignorance but why is SCADA even allowed to run on a Windows host? IMHO - when industry insists (i.e. $$$ on the table) on secure alternatives can and will become available.

Many manufacturers have used Windows as an embedded component of SCADA devices such as Human Machine Interfaces (HMIs - the gadgets that produce the touchscreen management interface for operators). Moreover, industry has not insisted on secure alternatives in control systems, period. In fact, industry continues to be overwhelmingly resistant to any changes to their existing systems - reliability is many times more important to them as a group than security.

-chris