Re: [fw-wiz] SCADA

Forgive my ignorance but why is SCADA even allowed to run on a Windows host? IMHO - when industry insists (i.e. $$$ on the table) on secure alternatives can and will become available.
Remote SCADA logging can be done securely over the Internet with authentication, confidentiality, integrity, and non-repudiation. Delays can happen but data will never be lost. It's a one way street from device(s) to logger(s).
Real-time SCADA control should be confined to a LAN/intranet where complete network/power redundancy and backup systems are also controlled by the site. The Internet is not 100% reliable for real-time control (e.g. San Jose area last week). I did not lose any log data. I lost visibility of a couple of systems for a while. When the connection came back the missed data points were filled in - as designed.
I'm not trolling - I'm actively solving these problems and welcome comments from those who are also.

Sincerely,

Dan Hassler

  • Re: CNN: Explores Possibility that Power Outage is Related to Internet Worm
    ... Since this post I have done much research on SCADA, DCS, and HMI ... Subject: CNN: 'Explores Possibility that Power Outage is Related to ... > out the grid, or the transmission system is over stressed. ... > in certain control and monitoring systems ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] SCADA
    ... Leave SCADA where it is secure from the window of the Internet and its storefront shoppers. ... there is always the wily newbie trembling to see if the vulnerability exists on the network. ... You put accounting systems in the accounting ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: CNN: Explores Possibility that Power Outage is Related to Internet Worm
    ... Grid that would have tripped to prevent or otherwise divert such ... I believe that the outage was caused by the MSblaster, ... in certain control and monitoring systems ... SCADA system at the power plant master terminal, ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: windows.forms usercontrol, event and delegate
    ... the main control system is a PLC controller, ... can open or close real valve and generally do not need any other ... complicated SCADA systems. ...