Re: [fw-wiz] Blackberry MDS Connection Bypassing firewall

The dmz was going to be my next suggestion : )

Chris

On Jan 19, 2008, at 7:28 AM, Miedaner wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

We will be doing the client side lockdown with policies. Although for obvious reasons we really wanted to use a server side solution, and were hoping that the BES MDS Connectrion service supported fine grained ACL filtering. As far as we can tell it is all or none on the TCP ACL for the MDS connecrion service.

The idea of Blackberries bypassing the firewall and VPN's also makes us want to move the server into an isolated DMZ so that consistent logging can be mainteained..

Thanks again.
-----Original Message-----
From: firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ]On Behalf Of Chris Myers
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:55 PM
To: Firewall Wizards Security Mailing List
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Blackberry MDS Connection Bypassing firewall

If you don't want any 3rd party app : ) It looks like if they already have it then another approach needs looked at, but the Blackberry seems to have its own IT Policy. The URL below shows how to get the SSH running if it does not work, but reverse engineering it will tell you what you can put in place that causes these errors, hence not allowing access outbound for SSH for the Blackberry.

1. Open the BlackBerry Manager.
2. On the Tree tab, right-click the BlackBerry Enterprise Server server and select IT Policy. The IT Policy settings for BlackBerry Server window appears.
3. Click Edit. The Edit IT Policy window appears.
4. Clear the Disallow Third Party Application Downloads checkbox.
5. Click OK.

Note: Depending on the version of your BlackBerry Enterprise Server, this IT Policy setting may also be called DisallowThirdPartyAppDownloads or Disallow 3rd Party Applications.

http://www.rovemobile.com/support/faqs/ssh/