Re: [fw-wiz] accessing SMTP server via the translated address

I don't think this is necessarily the case. Some devices support this
kind of configuration and others do not. Cisco seems to have a
specific term for it -- 'hairpinning', and it is apparently supported
in later versions of PIX. I don't know enough about PIX specifically,
but if you google this term you'll find discussions on the subject.
Then you don't have to worry about splitting the DNS.