Re: [fw-wiz] Edge appliance (firewall) that filters/monitors/records instant messenger?

FYI,

Secure Computing's solution acts as an IM proxy, which requires DNS changes (a zone for every DNS host that *might* be serving as an IM gateway for whatever service; Yahoo, MSN, AOL, etc). I'm more or less looking for a solution that will automagically detect IM traffic at the perimeter. SC's solution doesn't do that (by itself). You have to forcefully re-direct packets to the appliance some kind of way...either through DNS or using it as a Socks proxy (which doesn't actually work) or some fancy policy routing or...

I am going down the road now of just setting up an internal IM solution (either Live Communications Server 2007 or Openfire) and using the public IM options in each of them, with full auditing turned on, and making the public IM gateway(s) of the Openfire server the IronIM appliance (which we already have one of). Openfire literally sets up in a few minutes, which is nice. LCS 2007 has more options that integrate more with their whole Exchange 2007 stack and whatnot. For right now, I will probably go the Openfire route until we've fully deployed VoIP and Exchange 2007 and have it integrated with our PBX and voicemail.

ArkanoiD wrote:
SC's IronMail should be capable as well. They used to have a separate
product (called IronIM or something), but now it is integrated into
IronMail.

You may also block it using pretty generic firewall rules (except
web gtalk which is tricky to block if you still need gmail to work)

  • Re: Internet Access problems in Fedora Core 4
    ... using the raw ip was to factor out DNS from the troubleshooting. ... set right or your card's interface isn't setup right. ... nameserver <proxy if proxy does dns to you or isp's dns> ... PING 64.233.179.99 56bytes of data. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • ISP DNS, proxies and security
    ... >dns lookups are not done by the isp, ... As far as DNS goes, that's a good question, but I do not know of DNS ... Can you be certain that the proxy itself isn't monitoring ... They do this with transparent proxies, ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Internet Access problems in Fedora Core 4
    ... I m using an ethernet LAN card to access the internet. ... your ISP via DNS. ... by trying a URL in your browser that's already in numeric format. ... your proxy is working and most likely DNS is misconfigured. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Accessing windows 2000 dns through linux
    ... We can able to access the internet.. ... But if we want to access the intranet access sites(for example ... use the proxy server for local address - In exceptions tab we have to ... We can access intranet access perfectly by giving dns ip without proxy ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: DNS Forwarding
    ... >> to a DNS cache of theirs which forwards onto others. ... >> addresses (which we need for proxy access to internet), ... >> When you point directly to the DNS cache resolution is fine, ... >> the problem occurs when forwarding the requests through the W2k3 DNS. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)