From: firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Victor Williams
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 9:07 PM
To: Firewall Wizards Security Mailing List
Subject: [fw-wiz] Edge appliance (firewall) that
filters/monitors/recordsinstant messenger?

I am looking at different technologies to address the constant and
ever-changing instant messenger issue. At this point, I'm looking at
two options really...block everything at the firewall except incoming
VPN connections, and use a proxy server for any required outgoing
internet access, and use an internal IM/conferencing service like Office
Communications Server 2007 that can hook to public IM networks if needed...

Or...

Something like the Fortinet firewalls that can
allow/deny/control/monitor IM/URL/virus/spam/IDS/IPS/etc traffic at the
perimeter. We have Secure Computing sidewinders and Cisco ASA's
in-house already...they can handle everything except the IM traffic.

Management has stated that IM of some kind is required for certain
employees who are separated by a continent to save on long-distance
phone usage until VoIP can be fully realized/utilized.

Overall question, does anyone know of any other options that would allow
me to manage this traffic and be able to provide to management
transcripts of what is typed, and to whom?

Yeah, I know I could use Ethereal and some other freely available
things. Issue is, I want fire and forget, with the ability to let the
managers to receive/view the reports without my interaction. Likewise,
I want someone else (a vendor) to manage the ever-changing issue of IM
traffic signatures and whatnot, which I would still have to
handle/decipher going the Ethereal route.

Thanks for your time.