Re: [fw-wiz] Windows dynamic ARP

:Does anyone know a way to turn OFF dynamic ARP on Windows? I'd like to
:set up a network where static ARP entries are the only way to
:communicate.

You might want to consider tweaking the StrictArpUpdate registry entry:

store in the ARP cache the MAC address of the last ARP reply received
(StrictARPUpdate=0) or the MAC address of the first ARP reply received
(StrictARPUpdate=1). With StrictARPUpdate set to 1, TCP/IP will not
update the MAC address of an existing ARP cache entry if it receives
additional unsolicited ARP replies.

This won't -quite- prevent dynamic ARP entries for new nodes, but with
StrictArpUpdate, you should just be able to add static arp entries for
the rest of the IPs on your subnet without them being overwritten, then
remove and allow them to learn the new arp entry as you introduce new
hosts on the subnet.

--
Michael J. O'Connor mjo@xxxxxxxxxxx http://dojo.mi.org/~mjo/

  • arp(8) performance w/ many aliases assigned to an interface
    ... I have an 8.0-RELEASE system with 4000 "permanent" ARP entries due to having ... user and put each on his/her own subnet with a netmask of /30. ... makes the web interface extremely slow. ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • arp(8) performance w/ many aliases assigned to an interface
    ... I have an 8.0-RELEASE system with 4000 "permanent" ARP entries due to having ... user and put each on his/her own subnet with a netmask of /30. ... makes the web interface extremely slow. ...
    (freebsd-performance)
  • arp(8) performance w/ many aliases assigned to an interface
    ... I have an 8.0-RELEASE system with 4000 "permanent" ARP entries due to having ... user and put each on his/her own subnet with a netmask of /30. ... makes the web interface extremely slow. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: static arp with wireless
    ... >2) I've setup static arp entries on each pc to protect against arp ... Static arp entries work fine on PCs that are ... >connections that flush the arp entries everytime the connection drops. ... the arp table listing to check if the correct entry is ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: clearing ARP cache
    ... |> |> ARP entries, and the "arp" command would not clear them up. ... I think normally arp entries times out after a few ... The machines I had that were on the affected UPS came right back up as ... That's when I noticed the ARP cache full of garbage ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)