Re: [fw-wiz] Windows dynamic ARP

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Dave Love wrote:

What do you mean by dynamic arp entry? ARP maps ips to mac addresses. If

There are two ways to get an entry into the ARP table, a static entry,
which you specify at the command line with the arp command (arp -s
usually,) and a dynamic entry, which is the result of an ARP WHOHAS packet
(dynamic come in two flavors, those you actually ask for, and gratuitous,
which you get off the wire and are generally frowned upon from a security
context.)

you make a static arp entry aren't you trying to map the ip to the arp
address statically? Why not just use dhcp to do this?

Because what I want to do is to stop a node from adding nodes that I don't
specifically want to talk to it- not add an additional or fixed node.

Paul

  • RE: HEADSUP: arp-v2 has been committed
    ... Before the arp-v2 commit, ... interface is known from the default route entry, ... an ARP search is made in that interface. ... Subject: HEADSUP: arp-v2 has been committed ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • RE: HEADSUP: arp-v2 has been committed
    ... Before the arp-v2 commit, ... interface is known from the default route entry, ... an ARP search is made in that interface. ... Subject: HEADSUP: arp-v2 has been committed ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: net/mpd5: proxy arp dont work on FreeBSD 8
    ... arp: writing to routing socket: Invalid argument ... entry first and cannot find it, ... But with a route added for this IP arp fails completely: ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • RE: net/mpd5: proxy arp dont work on FreeBSD 8
    ... arp: writing to routing socket: Invalid argument ... entry first and cannot find it, ... But with a route added for this IP arp fails completely: ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: sygate and shields up
    ... ARP table) the router will have an ARP entry. ... ARP request (which would result in the router responding as in your ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)