Re: [fw-wiz] detecting multihomed host

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Marcin Antkiewicz wrote:

it depends. If your firewall is really just a bridge, the first router will
see one MAC address in traffic for all of the 20 IPs. There are other

One MAC address wouldn't really be "multi-homed," it'd be lots of "virtual
interfaces." That's different from muti-homed in my book. Physical
multi-homing requires seperate physical interfaces. I'd call it multiple
virtual interfaces if it all came from one NIC (and multi-homed normally
indicates the system is connected to more than one network- hence it's
"home" isn't just one subnet.

Paul

  • Re: keyboard workstation vs. controller + PC for the hobbyist composer
    ... Apple Logic Studio seems quite ... When it comes to interfaces, you have three different ways to go -- USB, ... This is because with the Mac at under ten percent of the market and Apple ...
    (rec.music.makers.synth)
  • Re: How does Internal Bypass mode work on Juniper IDP range
    ... Thus, depending on what you have on either end of the IPS, you may need to have one crossover cable on one side and a straight-through on the other side. ... The other 10% are caused by bad relays--the IPS box doesn't actually "snap in" to bypass mode when the watchdog doesn't go off or the power disappears. ... Will the switch interfaces connected to the IPS device remain up as they are now connected to each other through the IPS rather than to the IPS interfaces? ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: Problem with udev and ethX naming in latest Fedora 19.
    ... my interfaces based on MAC address. ... to be ethX and I want them in a specific order base on MAC address. ... I read this thread about similar issue in Fedora 18, ... However I leave rename to systemd. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Configuring Cisco IPS High Bandwidth Using EtherChannel Load Balancing
    ... but that is only if the IPS interfaces are connected to interfaces ... then the interfaces can be trunk ports. ... "If the paired interfaces are connected to the same switch, ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: unique MAC address
    ... >> natural to let every NIC have its own MAC. ... interfaces, but "stations" or some such thing. ... don't have their own at all, so setting local-mac-address? ... you have to use ifconfig in an rc script for them if you ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)