Re: [fw-wiz] ECHO Protocol

Quoting peng liu <cleverpigboy@xxxxxxxxx>:

OK. This is the tricky part since ICMP is built basd on IP protocol and it
works on thesame layer as TCP/UDP. Then why my local services file contains:

echo 7/tcp
echo 7/udp

This is the echo daemon, see http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc862.html for details.

So the echo here is different than the Echo, Echo-reply protocol we are
talking here?

The ping command uses ICMP in Windows. Yes, I know that there are alternate "ping" programs that will allow you to use TCP, UDP or possibly anything that programmer could think of, but the traditional ping uses ICMP. Two of the ICMP types are referred to as echo and echo reply, which are the ICMP types used for ping. See the ICMP RFC (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc792.html) for more detailed information.