Re: [fw-wiz] Auditing a firewall rulebase

2008/5/14 arvind doraiswamy <arvind.doraiswamy@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hey Guys,
What parameters would you look for if you audited a large rulebase for
an enterprise firewall? These are a few I could think of. Anything
else that you guys consistently look at when managing/auditing your
firewalls? Do take note that I'm talking just singularly about the
rule-base and not other configuration information i.e: I'm not looking
at things like -- Low console session timeout OR Telnet admin
interface open etc. I'm looking at just the rulebase this time around.
Here are my parameters:

Rules which have "any" or an equivalent keyword in them
Rules where an entire subnet has been granted access to a resource
Rules where a range of IP addresses has been granted access to a resource
Rules where a large range of ports has been opened to an IP Address / Addresses
Rules where there are design issues in the protocol itself
eg. Unencrypted traffic
Rules which are redundant and can be removed from the rulebase

Thanks
Arvind

I always spend a decent amount of time making sure that rules are in
the correct order, so a more general deny rule doesnt end up blocking
access to a specific resource just because it was higher on the list,
or vice versa

also comments, any rule with out a comment gets deleted, if it wasnt
important enough to have a comment, its not important enough to still
be here.

high use rules at the top of the list

other than that just what you already said

hope that helps

Lawrence

--
-Lawrence

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Auditing a firewall rulebase
    ... interface open etc. I'm looking at just the rulebase this time around. ... Rules where a range of IP addresses has been granted access to a resource ... Look for rules that you do not have a written justification for; if a rule is for a single application or user group, ask if it is still justified. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Auditing a firewall rulebase
    ... -Make sure all rules are performance-based, e.g. most hit rule first in line, etc. to cut down on cpu and bandwidth. ... interface open etc. I'm looking at just the rulebase this time around. ... Rules where a range of IP addresses has been granted access to a resource ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • [fw-wiz] Auditing a firewall rulebase
    ... an enterprise firewall? ... interface open etc. I'm looking at just the rulebase this time around. ... Rules where a range of IP addresses has been granted access to a resource ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Auditing a firewall rulebase
    ... If its an external firewall then you can check to make sure that bogon ... interface open etc. I'm looking at just the rulebase this time around. ... Rules where a range of IP addresses has been granted access to a resource ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)