From: firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Kerry Milestone
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:36 AM
To: Firewall Wizards Security Mailing List
Subject: [fw-wiz] 10Gb Firewalls

Hello kind Wizards,

I am investigating the possibilities of putting a firewall on the end of

a 10Gb link. I'd like to be able to inspect at 10Gb wirespeed. As this

is a scoping project (though it _has_ to happen due to the nature of
projects in the institute), cost is not the main issue. I've come
across the Nortel Switched Firewall 6000, however this 'only' does 6Gb
throughput.

Alternatively, we have several firewalls which work at 1Gb and are
wondering if its a better to chanelize [sic] and put say 10 firewalls
each dealing with different traffic. In coming years, IP based VPN's to

other sites will become more used - and more 10Gb links to site perhaps
building up to a 40Gb WAN backbone. We currently have an IDS which will

can handle this much volume.

The next question, is extending the SAN. If using iSCSI, is it better
to leave this traffic off the firewall and just route it through, say a
GRE tunnel without encryption?

Would be keen to hear any thoughts on the theory of what I want to do.
Implementation is not so difficult, really after some 'best practices'
thoughts.

Many thanks,
Kerry.

  • [fw-wiz] Inline 2 port POE Firewall
    ... Two ports, one in and one out - running ... This is to protect single devices, which for whatever reason can't run their own firewall, are 'odd' operating systems, ... The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] 10Gb Firewalls
    ... I am investigating the possibilities of putting a firewall on the end of ... is a scoping project (though it _has_ to happen due to the nature of ... The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research ... company registered in England with number 2742969, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] 10Gb Firewalls
    ... traffic through a firewall would be a serious negative in my opinion. ... The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research ... company registered in England with number 2742969, ... "Some things are eternal by nature, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • [fw-wiz] NetScreen Logging with NSRP
    ... passive/active firewall setup with NSRP. ... The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research ... company registered in England with number 2742969, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • [fw-wiz] 10Gb Firewalls
    ... As this is a scoping project, cost is not the main issue. ... I've come across the Nortel Switched Firewall 6000, however this 'only' does 6Gb throughput. ... The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)