From: firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Iñaki Arenaza
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 3:38 PM
To: firewall-wizards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [fw-wiz] Layer 2 (stealth) firewalls - PBR?

"Darden," == Darden, Patrick S <darden@xxxxxxxx> writes:

Darden,> Layer 2, unlike IP, is on a flat fabric. There are no
Darden,> routers, no routing protocols, it is bridged. Every
Darden,> point on the fabric knows every other point on the
Darden,> fabric.

While not expert on the subject, I know of a switch vendor that is
adding PBR at layer 2 to their gear. They usually deal with some Layer
2 protocols (use in special industrial environments), and they want to
control where those Layer 2 packets go (output port) depending on
several factors like being unicast/multicast/broadcast, coming/going
to certain MAC addresses/addresses groups, etc.

So while not widely used, there are people doing 'crazy' stuff like
that.

Saludos. Iñaki.

--
Get PGP/GPG Keys at http://www.escomposlinux.org/iarenaza/pgpkey.php
I use free software / Yo uso software libre

  • RE: Use of Taps for IDS
    ... this is a layer 1 (physical ... Note that this usually requires all the ports to be of a single ... of each connected machine whenever a frame is sent. ... the switch typically floods ALL ports with the ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: VPN Design - is it possible?
    ... >> you can have the two ISPs converge at a device outside the PIX A, ... the PIX to a switch and connect the switch to the two routers, ... appropriate "only one switch active at a time" failover logic. ... convertor is still up) Can the device discover the layer 1 failure by ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Layer 2 (stealth) firewalls - PBR?
    ... Layer 2 devices like switches have to forwrd layer 3 multicast packets out ... Protocol (IGMP) and Multicast Listener Discovery Snooping Switches. ... In the case of IP multicast traffic, an IGMP snooping switch provides ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: The cat came and stayed..
    ... To me this implicates a layer three problem. ... So, to cut a long story short, ISP had provided us with EoATM 100 mbps link ... There are two cisco routers across Sites A and B and two media changers at ... I reset any switch, the problem gets resolved. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Is IP The Most Cost Effective Choice For Your Business Communication Applications?
    ... ethernet fibre because "Ethernet allows for layer 2 switching versus IP ... ideal way of lowering overheads and improving latency and jitter issues." ... but the Cisco 3750 (a layer 3 switch) is much less expensive. ... you can get a lot better than 24 microseconds ...
    (comp.dcom.lans.ethernet)