From: firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Iñaki Arenaza
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 3:38 PM
To: firewall-wizards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [fw-wiz] Layer 2 (stealth) firewalls - PBR?

"Darden," == Darden, Patrick S <darden@xxxxxxxx> writes:

Darden,> Layer 2, unlike IP, is on a flat fabric. There are no
Darden,> routers, no routing protocols, it is bridged. Every
Darden,> point on the fabric knows every other point on the
Darden,> fabric.

While not expert on the subject, I know of a switch vendor that is
adding PBR at layer 2 to their gear. They usually deal with some Layer
2 protocols (use in special industrial environments), and they want to
control where those Layer 2 packets go (output port) depending on
several factors like being unicast/multicast/broadcast, coming/going
to certain MAC addresses/addresses groups, etc.

So while not widely used, there are people doing 'crazy' stuff like
that.

Saludos. Iñaki.

--
Get PGP/GPG Keys at http://www.escomposlinux.org/iarenaza/pgpkey.php
I use free software / Yo uso software libre