Re: [fw-wiz] Provocative Query: Are firewalls obsolete in a world involving enterprise WebService SOA

Back in the old days, we had similar situations and they amounted to
"block everything except
incoming telnet" - well, of course you can do anything over telnet, just
like you can over
these newfangled web frobozzes.

I guess I'm just questioning the relevance of a comparison between now and
then. You only have security around those protocols that you control.
That's always been true. If you only implement controls for IP, TCP, UDP,
and ICMP, then that's all you get. You don't get control over your SOAP
services or Telnet. Your router won't enforce those protocol standards and
prevent things like PPP-over-Telnet or RPC-over-SOAP. It's not a question
of obsolescence, rather a question of ignorance. And frankly, I don't think
that ignorance is that widespread. Maybe I've been out of consulting too
long.

My take on William's inquiry is that it's a strawman. He basically asked,
"Are devices that control A relevant to the security of systems that do B?"
Well, duh.

None of this should be taken (please) as an attack on you.
It's frustration because the ideas you're expressing are bad ideas that
many of us have fought > a long rearguard action against, knowing we'd fail
from the beginning.

You mean *epic* fail from the beginning. :-)

PaulM

  • Re: No Wonder Kodak Went Broke ...
    ... Many emotions in general ... Many activities are without risk. ... security "experts" didn't supports my contention that the security experts ... I don't allow emotion to control my behavior. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • [NEWS] HelixPlayer Based Players Format String
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... media player for Linux, Solaris (versions for other operating systems are ... between 0x0822** - 0x082f** and with control of one pointer at a time ... $ An open security advisory #13 - RealPlayer and Helix Player Remote ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: why microsoft choose mfc rather than wtl?
    ... to lower security settings, etc. ... For a client to get ... the particular AX control is never accessed, shown, or downloaded. ... unethical to deliver an automobile to customers because it is possible ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • A Way to Attack Nuclear Plants
    ... Industrial computer systems are typically far less secure than they ... officials in Iran confirmed that Stuxnet ... PLCs connect to, and control, devices ... security experts say. ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • Re: Linux security
    ... that is in Windows NT-based systems out of the box. ... Why do you want that fine level of control? ... level of control over security?" ... a file system is a different beast altogether. ...
    (Ubuntu)