Re: [fw-wiz] syslog and network management

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 8:06 PM, <david@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've found that if you utilize, for instance, syslog-ng, you can split
> up the log files based on whatever (device type, network, etc.).
> Searching those smaller files is a lot less CPU intensive.

true, but I found that syslog-ng was far less effective at the more
important job of receiving syslog messages from the wire and writing them
to disk

Really? How so?

We were logging 6 PIXen as well as many switches and routers (and a
much lesser level). We never "noticed" a great loss of messages... I
guess I can assume you did, and maybe I could learn from how you did!
:)

What daemon do you use?

  • Re: SBS Client Application Launcher ERROR Message - Manual Test Results
    ... I ran the command line as you suggested via cut and paste to ... No new log files created on WKS. ... Do diags on WKS NIC and Server NIC ... Are you having any issues with the network ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: More on caching and logging
    ... using it is just plain wrong, ... that has nothing to do with whether log files exist or not. ... Downloading files over networks cause network activity. ... The mount of code it would take to write a piece of software that would parse and understand a log file would almost certainly be more effort than it's worth to do the task at hand for a software installer / updater. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Computer forensics to uncover illegal internet use
    ... Examine the disk using something like Knoppix STD or Audit or other ... Alternative Browser history files ... Home of "Network Security using Linux" ... > consult log files to track his activities? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Computer forensics to uncover illegal internet use
    ... are a ton of little niches that Internet activity is stored. ... Now onto the network side -- If you have a moderate to large company, ... lengths to try to mask his illegal activities by erasing cookies, ... consult log files to track his activities? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Lost access to home network
    ... I have 3 computers on a network. ... download/run HijackThis from: ... Copy HJT to it's own folder, this is where the log files will be saved. ... Read the quick start here on how to create a log file that can be copied/pasted into a forum that can provide assistance on removal of unwanted pests. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)