Re: [fw-wiz] syslog and network management

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 8:06 PM, <david@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've found that if you utilize, for instance, syslog-ng, you can split
> up the log files based on whatever (device type, network, etc.).
> Searching those smaller files is a lot less CPU intensive.

true, but I found that syslog-ng was far less effective at the more
important job of receiving syslog messages from the wire and writing them
to disk

Really? How so?

We were logging 6 PIXen as well as many switches and routers (and a
much lesser level). We never "noticed" a great loss of messages... I
guess I can assume you did, and maybe I could learn from how you did!
:)

What daemon do you use?