Re: [fw-wiz] syslog and network management

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Darden, Patrick S. wrote:

3. Performance-wise, is there anything special needed? Not really.
It depends on the size of the network, number of devices, how much
detail you are recording, etc. What you describe is a good basis for
starting. Proably the three best things you could do would be: dual
core cpu (any decent ghz), a great NIC (or two, lots of udp bursts from
syslog), and lots of storage (you would want to keep at least 1 year in
local drive space).

if you end up doing much searching through your logs you can end up eating
a LOT more CPU then you imagine, especially as you correlate things and
end up searching for more related items at a time.

I've also found that it's faster to gzip the logs as you rotate them and
search through the compressed logs then to search through the same volume
of logs uncompressed.

what I do on my very busy servers is to put one high-rpm SCSI drive and
one (or more) large SATA drives in the box. I have syslog write to the
SCSI drive and then when I rotate the logs I save them to the slow, but
cheap SATA drive.

David Lang
firewall-wizards mailing list

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New Mailbox Store or New Storage Group?
    ... the logs and db's be on seperate spindles. ... I can only add two more drives to this server which will become the e: ... >>way to go is to create a new storage group and add a mailbox store in it. ...
  • Re: Hardware + Exchange 2003
    ... I will put the log files on the mirrored 36gb drives, ... the logs ... > created and what the allocation unit size is. ... > recommend building the server through a process that results in a 4K ...
  • Re: External backup/restore - an idea - comments please
    ... After you copy off the unmirrored drives ... When I say mirrored I mean OS or drive vendor mirroring. ... SANS that did double mirroring for this kind of backup. ... Now this doesn't solve point in time backups using the logs. ...
  • Re: XPE on 2 drives with EWF
    ... Another approach you may find helpful is exploring settings pages and resources of corresponding components. ... Dr. Watson, WBEM logs, System Variables: ... possible with the two drives. ... folder to a different drive. ...
  • Re: chat logs
    ... I'm glad too se everyone helping out to find the logs and giving advice ... on how to search those teen-agers web history. ... but neither is searching for logs. ... >The Emergency Response Task Force assigned to our case asked parents to ...