Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall Administration Survey

Hi Mike,

That kind of survey was done by Avishai Wool between 2000 and 2001 and published
in Computer June 2004 [1]. But it was only about CheckPoint FW-1 rules. The
results showed that rulesets complexity, default implicit rules and
configuration, and specific rules for the firewall adminitration were the most
common sources of error.

I fear that the situation is not going better today...

To connect this message to the rolling other threads: consequences of rule
configuration error in a packet filter (stateful or not) can be more dreadful
than configuration error in a proxy.
ie: to open access to a network vs to open acces to a protocol and a small group
of hosts.

[1]
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/search/srchabstract.jsp?arnumber=1306389&isnumber=28995&punumber=2&k2dockey=1306389@ieeejrns

JDG
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philipp K. Dick