Re: [fw-wiz] Firewalls that generate new packets..

Hi, all,

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 07:23:24PM -0800, Darren Reed wrote:

What's more, people seem to think that you can just filter
out DOS attacks. Will someone please give me a cricket
bat (or baseball bat) so I can apply some proper instruction?
*sigh*

Sorry to be nitpicking, but can we make that DDOS, then?

At least I use to think of DOS as "ping of death" or
"carefully crafted application packet of death" in contrast
to DDOS as "simply swamp your uplink by thousand of bots".

Firewalls can protect against the former.

Kind regards,
Patrick M. Hausen
Leiter Netzwerke und Sicherheit
--
punkt.de GmbH * Vorholzstr. 25 * 76137 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100