Re: [fw-wiz] Firewalls that generate new packets..

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Paul Melson wrote:
Are you sure it's not just that PIX was originally BorderWare and that
IOS runs (or ran) on m68k processors while the PIX codebase is x86?
Chris Blask subscribes to this mailing list, you know.

I think I'm missing your point. If I recall correctly, the PIX had
nothing at all to do with Borderware, unless you count using x86-based
hardware.

Are you sure it's not the difference in hardware platforms again?
Combining IOS and PIX OS is too complicated to be worth the effort.
That's OK. I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I'm a little
offended that you didn't think anybody here would know the real
answers.

I believe the same could be said of multiple posters to the list.

cheers!

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewalls that generate new packets..
    ... IOS runs on m68k processors while the PIX codebase is x86? ... (BorderWare is STILL BorderWare, BTW. See ... as we had an IOS firewall project we were working on. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewalls that generate new packets..
    ... PIX was an acquired product by Cisco, ... competing since PIX wasn't a firewall (which John summarily ... Bill McGee had been the driving force behind the best ... PIX and IOS command line similarity has long been a goal ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: subnets in access lists...
    ... >In this instance we can deduce that it is likely IOS rather than PIX ... and then to use a single statement to ... So if I wanted to block all ips starting with 61 from accessing ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: difference between netscreen x25 and cisco 515e
    ... configurable for experts that can use IOS instead of the GUI, ... company that doesn't want to learn a command line interface like IOS and ... > Netscreen is pretty weak compared to the PIX. ... Go to each website a look ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] FW appliance comparison - Seeking input for the forum
    ... But precisely this reason is the weakest of all - of course ... The "all of our products run IOS" mantra is a big marketing lie. ... do more things than a PIX. ... > And, after all, implicit rules are terrible so Checkpoint ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)