Re: [fw-wiz] Firewalls that generate new packets..

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Bill McGee (bam) wrote:

Yes, PIX/ASA has a different OS tham IOS. That's on purpose. Lots of
folks have policies which require that their security is different from
their infrastructure. Of course, we also offer the IOS Firewall, which
is another Enterprise-Class firewall with full routing functionality.

Come on Bill, that's about the biggest load of revisionist history since
someone tried to hand Checkpoint an award for inventing the firewall! PIX
has a different OS becauase it was an acquired product- and it started on
a different platform (x86) with a different OS (Phoenix.) While Cisco's
been IOSing it over time it started different because it wasn't a Cisco
product.

Senior Marketing Manager

Marketing spin? Sheesh!

Paul

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Using linux firewalls for PCI compliant infrastructure
    ... We are using linux-based servers as firewalls for PCI compliant ... During audits it has been OK so far but security ... be better suited for PCI infrastructure. ... The term "commercial firewall" still probably encompasses ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • [REVS] Bypassing Client Application Protection Techniques
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... protection programs. ... * Kerio Personal Firewall 4.0 ... And we got actually nothing in the field of client application ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Recycler security issues on IIS server
    ... > latest upates to the server. ... > like to see the server put behind our firewall, ... other software, install all patches, IISlockdown, URLscan, use the correct ... the procedures you follow may vary depending on your security needs. ...
  • Why hasnt Symantec addressed nastier Messenger spoofs
    ... Norton / Symantec has been silent on whether Norton Internet Security ... DSL firewall will stop these kinds of pop-ups. ... major ISPs and broadband systems. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re:RE : suggestions on a good firewall
    ... Subject: RE: suggestions on a good firewall ... CheckPoint does! ... with a url-filtering server. ... IT Technical Security Officer ...
    (Security-Basics)