Re: [fw-wiz] How to find hidden host within LAN

"desant1@xxxxxx" <desant1@xxxxxx> wrote:
The problem is that i'm not able to
identify this host within my LAN:
I can see his IP address (192.168.x.
y) and i can find his mac address througth ARP, but i can't ping it and
there is no host within my lan with this Mac address.
I can't
traceroute it.
Can someone help me to find this hidden host?

Have you tried traceroute'ing with "-I"? (Use ICMP echo instead of UDP
datagrams.) Tho you said it doesn't ping, so that'll probably not help

You can try nmap'ing it (with -P0, since it doesn't ping) to try to
find out what it is via fingerprinting (with -O).

You could examine your network switches and the like to find out what
port the offending MAC address is seen on.

If all else fails: Simply block it at the firewall. If I see something
misbehaving on my network, and I regard it as a non-threat, I'll simply
take away its connectivity. That usually results in the offending
owner/operator coming to complain to me ;).

filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is
web form at <>.
firewall-wizards mailing list

Relevant Pages

  • Re: how to find hidden host within LAN
    ... securing wireless so some users in the adjacent office were using his ... goto each pc on your lan.. ... It will list the Mac Address of the PC. ... You can block the host using too much traffic with iptables.. ...
  • Re: [SLE] SAMBA Problem
    ... Win2000pro via the LAN without any problems. ... however I ping the W2000p box I get: ... From icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable ... There is no need for any routing protocols ...
  • Re: OpenVPN configuration problem
    ... > - when i ping from the client a host on server's LAN, ...
  • Re: [fw-wiz] How to find hidden host within LAN
    ... Is the IP address within a valid range on your network or are we talking ... You can completely block that host from Internet access in IPTables by using ... Depending on your LAN setup you may be able to check your mac tables on your ...
  • Re: [fw-wiz] How to find hidden host within LAN
    ... identify this host within my LAN: ... if you ping do you get something like "host unknown" (means ethernet ... can't find the MAC) or or just no answer (he may have a firewall ... I assume you don't have a fancy switch that lets you trace ethernet ports... ...