Re: [fw-wiz] How to find hidden host within LAN

desant1@xxxxxx wrote:
In the last week i notice in the iptables logs that a host within
my lan is doing a lot of traffic.
The destination/source address of the
packets and the used port suggest that this host is using peerToPeer
application (emule or similar).
The problem is that i'm not able to
identify this host within my LAN:
I can see his IP address (192.168.x.
y) and i can find his mac address througth ARP, but i can't ping it and
there is no host within my lan with this Mac address.
I can't
traceroute it.
Can someone help me to find this hidden host?

Even if you *could* ping it, how would that help you find it?When you
have a misbehaving node on a network, finding it is always a game of
"Marco Polo" :(

What you could do is set your firewall to block that IP address, and
wait for someone to yell. Sort of a game of "Marco-whack-on-the-head
Polo" :-)

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D. http://crispincowan.com/~crispin
CEO, Mercenary Linux http://mercenarylinux.com/

  • Re: how to find hidden host within LAN
    ... securing wireless so some users in the adjacent office were using his ... goto each pc on your lan.. ... It will list the Mac Address of the PC. ... You can block the host using too much traffic with iptables.. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: ICS questions and confusion
    ... >>> has to be another subnet altogether. ... WHY does the LAN connection that connects my router to the ... >>host have to be on a different subnet than the 192.168.0.x one? ... >>where is that documented in all the how-to's on ICS, ...
  • Re: [fw-wiz] How to find hidden host within LAN
    ... Is the IP address within a valid range on your network or are we talking ... You can completely block that host from Internet access in IPTables by using ... Depending on your LAN setup you may be able to check your mac tables on your ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] How to find hidden host within LAN
    ... there is no host within my lan with this Mac address. ... Tho you said it doesn't ping, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: router causing ssh etc. slowdown?
    ... >> port on their public IP from a host on their own LAN. ... Let's say host A starts a TCP connection from its ... The router sends the SYN packet to ...
    (Fedora)