[fw-wiz] wireless security on notebooks

Dear people,

My question is regarding wireless security, on win xp.
I have a home network, with a wireless access point and two notebooks
(and one desktop connected via cable).
When I'm at home, I want to use the access point's firewall, and leave
all the other things unsecured, like the file sharing turned on on the
notebooks (I'm using WEP).
When my wife goes out with hers computer, I have to rely the security
on hers memory to turn on the firewall.
What I want is to install a virtual wireless network adapter, and to
use one wireless adapter with my home's wifi network and another with
the others. Then, leave the firewall always on (I use sygate) and make
it work only for the foreign networks. I didn't found such virtual
network adapters. I have the one that comes with VMWare, but it
doesn't have the "wireless networks" tab. This kind of solution is a 5
minutes work on Linux, it can be done by configuring a single text
file, but for windows, I'm getting mad.
I don't want to fill my computer of antivirus, anti spyware, and
Norton rubbish, I prefer a simple configuration like this.
Please, if you have some ideas about this, share it with me, or
perhaps to tell me that I'm missing something that makes this
situation nonviable.

Best regards,

Andres H
Argentina

  • Re: share my printer between 2 computers and surf with 2 computers at same time
    ... The main choice you have to make is whether to have the router include wireless capability or not. ... Because wireless routers for home use are relatively inexpensive these days, I'd suggest buying a wireless router even if you don't initially intend to use that capability. ... If you already have a UTP cable going between upstairs and downstairs, you can use that to have a wired network. ... caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; ...
  • Re: share my printer between 2 computers and surf with 2 computers at same time
    ... The main piece of hardware you need to buy is a router. ... Because wireless routers for home use are ... you can use that to have a wired network. ... caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; ...
  • Re: Home network problem
    ... I think part of the issue has been a firewall issue. ... top computer running windowsxp professional with a lyksys wireless router. ... All were able to access the internet and share folders and printers ... setting up the same type network i had before and was only able to get the ...
  • Re: Perhaps the most OBVIOUS question you will ever see.
    ... I am not saying it is a good idea to run an open wireless access ... Internet firewall in place, I would worry more about the threat from ... Packets to and from machines on the wired network are not ...
    (microsoft.public.security)