From: Marcus J. Ranum [mailto:mjr@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 04:19 PM
To: 'Firewall Wizards Security Mailing List',
firewall-wizards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall scaling

Sami Ghourabi wrote:
I'm trying to convince management that a firewall that supports 32000
concurrent sessions is enough for an organization that has a single WAN
internet link, and about 60-100 users, but I'm lacking arguments.

Sami - you obviously work for retards. If they need to have arguments
from their technical staff regarding matters of technical obviousness,
they clearly don't understand the problem and aren't likely to ever
understand it.

My suggestion is that you tell them "Industry Expert Marcus Ranum
SAYS that for 100 concurrent users you need EXACTLY 3,560
concurrent session capability." It's based on a formula that I
would publish, except that, unfortunately, it was classified by the
IAEA.

mjr.

  • Out-of-process+ISAPI+extension+request+failed.
    ... We are trying to simulate 450 concurrent sessions through IIS=>ColdFusion ... We're executing a coldfusion page with a query in a long loop to sustain the ... After 256 sessions the following error appears in IIS logs and IIS stop ... This error is logged when we try to start more than 250 concurrent sessions. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Out-of-process+ISAPI+extension+request+failed.
    ... We are trying to simulate 450 concurrent sessions through IIS=>ColdFusion ... We're executing a coldfusion page with a query in a long loop to sustain the ... After 256 sessions the following error appears in IIS logs and IIS stop ... This error is logged when we try to start more than 250 concurrent sessions. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: great looking conference
    ... Because it's possible you may want to attend all sessions, Waterfall ... 2006 features no concurrent sessions. ... you can only attend sessions that match your job function. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: maximum number of sessions....
    ... sessions or use the session start event. ... typically, that sort of throttling ... > Is there anyway to montior the number of user sessions from an asp.net ... > concurrent sessions to a website, i.e. limit the number of concurrent user ...